Sunday, July 18, 2010

Michael Scofield Will Never Die

In light of the fact that so many people commented so quickly on my last blog post, I figured I would test the water again (despite the fact that I was about to go to bed at a reasonable hour).

I recently finished watching the "Prison Break" series thanks to my Netflix account and an inability to prioritize properly. To say the least, I thoroughly enjoyed every episode. The acting was top notch and the plot lines, though outlandish, were well constructed. Having now spent with these characters however many hours it takes to watch 4 seasons of this show, I feel like I've lost friends. That brings me to my main topic:

- I have acquired the misfortune of creating what feel like very strong emotional ties to fictional characters.

It's a recent development. I didn't really care so much about anyone in movies or television, or even books before. But now, I can't seem to stop identifying with them to the point where I'm blurring the lines between my life and theirs. When I watched episodes of Prison Break, I literally felt like I was part of the crew trying to escape or seek revenge, etc.
Some say this is a result of a combination of talented writing and good acting. I have seen both before, and only now am I feeling so connected.

It's not just this show either. Let me elaborate. Just this past week I finished reading "Of Mice and Men" with two students at work. I read the final three pages aloud to them as they tried to understand what was going on. As Lennie asked George to tell him about the rabbits and George pulled the Luger from his pocket, my voice began to crack. I could hardly control my emotions. Tears were forming in my eyes and I had to take deep breaths so as to continue without sobbing. Luckily the students were completely oblivious to this. But do you see what I mean? Some switch somewhere in the "logical sympathy" portion of my brain has been switched to OFF, or someone has forgotten to install a surge protector on my emotions. I don't know what's going on but it's not normal.

Maybe someone can explain this to me. Have you had a similar experience? Are you now less likely to talk to me because you have finally confirmed the fact that I am totally nuts? Comment either way. I need answers, people.

2 comments:

  1. Who's to say this isn't normal?

    I still cry when I read about Cedric Diggory dying and Harry Potter is briefly reunited with his deceased parents long enough for them to give him a small bit of counsel.

    I always get choked up when the youngest daughter on "The Patriot" (the edited version, of course) begs her daddy not to go back to the war.

    And I was dangerously close to breaking down when Woody and his friends held hands as they were about to meet what they thought was the end of their existence.

    ...OK. I'm a freak. But we can be freaks together. :)

    ReplyDelete